Monday, October 6, 2008

The Homestead - Think 'Deliverance' but with karaoke

The next major stop would be Fraser Island. But this was too far away to manage in one stretch of driving and so we stayed with a family on a farm in the middle of nowhere. Well, it was actually a working cattle station on the Capricorn Coast, and a night to remember.

When we arrived, tired and still severely hungover, we were treated to a hayride around the property, all 12,000 hectares of it. As the dust whirled around my head and the smell of cow dung filled my nostrils, the mother of the family told us all about how the responsibility of working the farm had been passed down for generations. Looking around, it was beautiful but barren and I wondered if their odd looking but cute children might want to rebel and leave the farm to become a dancer in Las Vegas or something.

Our rooms were simply four walls, one of which was a thick sheet of corrugated iron, two bunk beds and a thin rug. The showers and toilets were outside and every time we opened the door hundreds of mosquitoes and other winged things flew in, making us itch. But it was only for one night and I have to say, I have never ever seen stars like I saw that night. They were huge and luminous against the pitch black backdrop. It was very very romantic and another beautiful sight experienced without Nick! However, necks craned, Steph, Abby and I shared a special moment :)

All geared up for an early night, we packed ready for another 6:30am start, settled into bed, closed our eyes and opened them again abruptly as, 'BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM, I want you in my room!' screeched out through the corrugated iron. I couldn't believe it, the family were singing 'Vengaboys' tracks on the karaoke next door. It was like having a nightclub next to my head. We listened as groans from the rest of the group seeped through the breeze block walls and it was another classic travelling moment. Grin and bear it, or else you will have a total breakdown.

No comments: