Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Steph - It Started with a Twin Room


I couldn’t write this travel blog without mentioning the person who started it all – Stephanie Reed.

It was a cold and dreary Monday morning when I received an email from Steph asking if I would be interested or knew anyone who might be interested in travelling for five months.
After seeing the itinerary, and with my colleague Ellie’s strong support, I knew this was something I was going to do.

Although we had been friends during our Journalism course at Sheffield Uni, the subsequent years, different friendship groups and full time jobs had caused us to naturally drift apart.

We shared a room across America and got to know each other again, drifting off to sleep sharing stories, happy and sad, shameful and funny.

But I think the first time I realised how much fun Steph would be was when I drunkenly fell backwards into a bath in Miami. We laughed until we cried and went on to giggle our way around the world.

Basically I would like to say thank you, Steph, for inviting me on the trip you had so carefully planned and researched. You dragged me out of a rut and my life has changed for the better.

You have appreciated this trip every step of the way and made me laugh even when I felt homesick and tired. When we eventually do separate it will be like losing an arm.

I will miss the way you never get bored of beautiful sunsets, and aren’t embarrassed to shed the occasional tear over a scenic photograph in a calendar!

I will miss waking up after a heavy night out and hearing how ‘tragic’ you feel. I’ll miss your loud and infectious laugh and your hilarious impressions.

I have loved dancing like an idiot in clubs across the world with you, dreaming up documentaries which we are so certain will ‘take the media by storm’, pouring over star signs in coffee shops and bursting into hostel rooms in the early hours doing that drunken ‘whispering’ that turns out to be louder than actual speaking.

We have shared so much over the past four months, not just the amazing experiences, but stories, secrets, food, money, rooms and even a bed! You’re a fiercely loyal and selfless friend, a fellow dreamer with a brilliant sense of humour and a big heart. I’ll never be able to look at another Mint Aero without thinking of you, and I’m sure the shop assistant at our local 7-eleven who ordered them in especially for you won’t either!

The perfect travel buddy, my singing partner, my wingman, my confidante and my bloody good friend, you have earned yourself bridesmaid status, missy – let’s just hope you suit the shade ‘Tangerine Queen’. Haha. Love you.

J Hey Hey x

(just livin’ ma life!)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Dear Jolly,

I wrote a reply to this blog entry after I'd said goodbye to you a few days ago at the airport when you returned home:

Jols… you've just left Singapore and I'm alone in my hotel room - yes, that one with the delightful view of the hotel generators - feeling very at loss.

It did indeed all start with a short facebook message. Little did I know that momentary thought to ask you to accompany me would have turned out to be one of the best moves I’ve ever made. Over those four intense months it was an absolute pleasure getting to know you and experiencing the trip of a lifetime together. Not only was I lucky enough to see all those amazing sights and meet all those weird and wonderful people; but I made a fantastic friend for life out of it.

You are one of the funniest people I’ve ever met. You literally had me giggling across the globe. We know what the headline would be:

‘Bubbly Brit dies’
Laughter thought to be the cause of blonde Steph’s sudden death. Fellow Bubbly Brunette Brit – Julie – to blame.

Even in times of desperation – when faced with cockroaches and food poisoning in Fiji, partaking in the longest traditional Indian sit down meal in the world (which you especially enjoyed), and your dramatic three-part fall into a boat in Malaysia – you’d always have something witty to say to ensure my cackle of a laugh.

It got to the stage where just one look at your face and I knew what you were thinking so I’d have a good chuckle. Don’t think I didn’t see your shoulders shake with laughter that day as my head was smacked repeatedly during what we hoped would be a relaxing head massage in Penang. You then set me off laughing and I had to think of a serious issue – such as global warming or the War on Terror – to override the damn giggles.

Anyway, I just want to say thank you for being the best travel buddy. For being so naturally easy going and someone with such interesting stories and experiences. For being such a great support if I ever was in need of a hug or simply someone to talk to. I am also thankful we both share a suffering of singing tourettes – it enables me to feel more comfortable about my Kelly Clarkson obsession.

I will never forget our T-Pain ‘Julie: take it out your pocket and show it; Steph: throw it’ dance. God save me if I ever forgot to throw it after you’d shown it! I won’t forget those blonde conversations we had and aspirations to further our education with google (did you ever find out what Quebec is?). And I certainly will keep in memory the throwing of Teriocka pudding and Brendan the $3 waste (I mean, investment) of a wombat across many a hotel room.

I will really miss you as I stay longer in Oz but know I’ll see you when I return to England. Thank you for everything – you made the trip. Lots of love, Stiff xxx