Monday, August 25, 2008

Happy Times on the Bus


We spent 23 days travelling across North America and I would say that on average we spent maybe 30 hours a week on the Contiki coach. Naturally, it became our second home.

Coach trips were a chance to do a lot of thinking and I am still unsure as to whether that was a good thing or not. I spent a lot of time going over past experiences, lost loves, old friends and future prospects. I gained a new perspective on situations that I thought were dead and buried and I realised I know a couple of people who deserve my apologies.

Coach trips were also a chance to get to know people, have a laugh and take in the beautiful scenery. They were an opportunity to catch up on sleep, recover from a hangover, read and learn to love new songs. My crew and I would often grab the back seats which had more leg room and settle in for eight-hour stints. It wouldn’t be long before the daily iPod wars started.

Some people at the front were partial to none stop Bon Jovi, our tour manager liked obscure rock music and we just wanted to some easy listening R&B or Motown. It’s amazing how much emotion music choice can stir up in people and we would often just resort to shouting things towards the front or swapping the iPods when no one was looking. Childish but so much fun.



Some driving stints were just spent taking it in turns with Brendan to choose songs from his iPod, playing each other on phone scrabble or talking about our lives back home. I found it fascinating hearing where other people had grown up and how their childhoods had differed from mine.

Another part of the coach journeys were the rest stops. We would generally be let loose on a range of fast food restaurants. I swear if I never see another Wendy’s, Arby’s or Denny’s again it will be too soon. I could easily live without Walmart too. I once spent nearly the whole lunch hour searching for a sandwich, that place is unnecessarily huge. But anyway, the stops were spent sunbathing and chatting - and sharing a whole roast chicken in a car park has never felt more natural.

No comments: