Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Quebec City is Very Pretty



Crossing the border into Canada was quite traumatic.

How was I to know that the little green piece of paper that I received on arrival into Miami was important? They hadn’t stapled it into my passport! Cue a bus load of people waiting for me as I rifled through my Contiki pack frantically looking for the elusive piece of paper with three guys ranting in French and occasionally dropping bomb shells like, “We can let you in but you may not be able to get back out.” Finally, as I was close to tears, a manager appeared and explained that on arrival back in to America I may have to pay $6 for a new Green card. No problem - and off we went!

Quebec City is the capital of the Canadian province of Quebec and is very chocolate-box pretty indeed. I haven’t explored much of Europe, but Quebec City certainly had a distinct European feel with its winding cobbled streets lined with cafes and boutiques, violinists on each corner. We walked around the Old Town with a tour guide who gave us interesting snippets of Quebec City’s history.

For such a compact place, Quebec City had lots of noteworthy characteristics.
A steep, winding street known as the cote de la Montagne connects Upper Town and Lower Town and you can use the Funicular (or funky-lift-type-thing) to go between the parts from near the base of the Breakneck Stairs. This leads up to the very expensive and impressive Château Frontenac grand hotel, which I thought looked like a Princess castle. We also saw the Place Royale, where the arrest scene in ‘Catch Me If You Can’ starring Leonardo DiCaprio was filmed and the beautiful Quebec City Mural which shows 400 years of Quebec history.

There are also a ridiculous amount of beautiful people. Our tour manager, Jason told us this was because, years ago, Quebec City was over run by women, so they shipped some men over to populate it. The best looking guys got their pick of the best looking women and the less fortunate looking had to go to Montreal to try their luck. Sorry Montreal. Quebec City was also the scene of the first Contiki room party. An excuse to act immaturely, get drunk and play, ‘I have never.’ It was an eye opener and that night I realised I was in the presence of some bloody great people.

No comments: